Favs

Jen's off-the-charts-incredible book montage

Partials
The Sea of Tranquility
Forbidden
Every Day
Shiver
Delirium
Fragments
Boundless
A Day in the Afterlife of Tod
If I Die
Clockwork Princess
A Monster Calls
Snowscape
Hopeless
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Gather Together in My Name
Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas
The Heart of a Woman
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
Days of Blood and Starlight


Jen's favorite books »

Monday, June 1, 2015

Looking for Trouble (Jackson: Girls Night Out #1)

Looking for Trouble (Jackson: Girl's Night Out, #1)Looking for Trouble by Victoria Dahl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well now here's refreshing plot. Daughter and son of parents who had an affair are attracted to each other. Romance ensues. Hmmm.

As romance stories go, this is pretty average. Gorgeous girl hides behind a retro, librarian facade (and she really is a librarian). Gorgeous hunk rides a motorcycle and doesn't do relationships. Nothing is unexpected here.

But Dahl did put a nice spin on the plot. It's a small town, so she uses the stigma of adultery to capitalize on the relationships within the families and the town at large. Politics and gossip lean everyone one way while reality balances it another. The social pariahs raised some sense of injustice so I wasn't just interested in these characters, I was emotionally invested in the story.

The characters were believably developed. Also refreshing was the way they behaved; they may have had distorted reasons for their behavior but at least it was realistic on some level. The romance wasn't so much sweet as savory, a welcome change in the genre. It maintained a nice balance between sugary sweetness and the tart sense of the forbidden.

This is a decidedly above average book for me - I'd give it 3.25 stars. It's an easy read in one sitting. And hopefully it's a taste of good things to come from this author. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment