Favs

Jen's off-the-charts-incredible book montage

Partials
The Sea of Tranquility
Forbidden
Every Day
Shiver
Delirium
Fragments
Boundless
A Day in the Afterlife of Tod
If I Die
Clockwork Princess
A Monster Calls
Snowscape
Hopeless
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Gather Together in My Name
Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas
The Heart of a Woman
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
Days of Blood and Starlight


Jen's favorite books »

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Never Never

Never Never (Never Never, #1)Never Never by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is like a taste of something really good - that just leaves you wanting more.

Colleen Hoover can really develop characters nicely. Not having read anything by Tarryn Fisher I didn't know what to expect - but I have to say that if this is what the combination turns up, then it's a great writing team. They seem to play well off one another's strengths.

In terms of story development and plot, it's interesting. Hoover hasn't gone paranormal before. Again, I haven't read Fisher but she's gone into the whole memory-loss thing with her Love Me with Lies series. Her characters seem edgy; they're not the nice girl next door by any means. The backdrop of New Orleans and the whole occult culture there is the perfect setting for the mystery of it. There's a side character mentioned briefly, and I have my suspicions that she's the catalyst in the story. I wonder if this will follow a plot line similar to Beauty and the Beast - less than savory characters have to change for lives to improve. Maybe the beast in this story is the state of their lives.

As far as romance, this is very YA. These are regular high school kids. The mystery and paranormal aspects of the story really overshadow the romance at this point in the story. But don't be fooled - there's still a heavy dose of romance developing here.

There's a major cliffhanger, so it might be advisable to wait until the whole story is complete before reading it. For the rest of us, we need that sequel now. Immediately. As in, yesterday. Colleen Hoover has hooked us and it will be torture waiting for the next installment.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment