Favs

Jen's off-the-charts-incredible book montage

Partials
The Sea of Tranquility
Forbidden
Every Day
Shiver
Delirium
Fragments
Boundless
A Day in the Afterlife of Tod
If I Die
Clockwork Princess
A Monster Calls
Snowscape
Hopeless
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Gather Together in My Name
Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas
The Heart of a Woman
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
Days of Blood and Starlight


Jen's favorite books »

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Parallel

Parallel (Travelers, #1)Parallel by Claudia Lefeve


I began this on audio (narrated by Sienna Beckman) and although the narration was very good, the story - not so much. I got through about half of it and then switched to Kindle, then skimmed through to the end. That's the reason I'm not giving this book a star rating.

The premise here was good. Orphan girl gets spirited away to a parallel universe where her life is much better. There's a missing dad. There are the changes between the worlds. There's something "else" going on. There are paranormal abilities.

And then there's all the high school drama. That's where this author lost me. I felt like it just dumbed the book down and reduced it to a silly soap opera. There were supernatural things happening but they felt thrown in for effect and convenience rather than adding to the story. The romance was good, the love triangle was terrible (terrible!), and I never did get a good bead on the characters. Especially the main character - Etta started out being a smart, capable, street-savvy girl. That seemed to end when she jumps to the parallel world. She's expected to suddenly cope with a whole new world around her. And she does and nobody suspects anything? If anything, this should have made her extraordinary. Instead, it was just unbelievable.

I really do respect the time and effort an author puts into a book. This was a good try, but just fell flat for me. I won't be continuing with the series - and yet I hope this author is able to mature in her writing. It just needs to be smarter and less cluttered.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment